Login Register

Guildford Road still closed as engineers struggle to fix leak

By mattcollison  |  Posted: September 28, 2012

  • The A320 Guildford Road roundabout has been turned into a crater-like hole as workmen battle to fix the burst water main.

Comments (0)

ENGINEERS have been struggling to fix a burst water main which has caused a major road to close.
The roundabout at the junction of the A320 Guildford Road and Holloway Hill has been entirely dug up with workmen working through the night to fix the pipe.   
Yesterday (September 27) the road collapsed leaving a hole several feet deep.
A silver BMW was pulled from the collapsed carriageway yesterday after the vehicle was swallowed by the gaping hole.
No-one was hurt but residents reported seeing torrents of water gushing down the A320 Guildford Road and passing homes, some of which had to be evacuated.
One resident said: "It was like a river, you could have put a boat on it."
Workmen for Veolia Water Central have been working round-the-clock since yesterday morning trying to fix the leak.
It is still unknown when the A320 Guildford Road, which is closed from the junction with St Peter's Hospital to Holloway Hill, can reopen to traffic. A Veolia sign shows the works could continue into October.
A spokesman for Veolia said: "We would like to apologise for the continued inconvenience caused by the burst water main on the Guildford Road, which occurred on Thursday 27 September.
 "Our team of engineers remained on site last night and are continuing to supervise the repair. The electrical cables within the hole, which were delaying work, were finally isolated and removed by 11.45pm, allowing the repair to commence.
 "Due to the complexity of the split in the pipe, 4 previous attempts to seal it have failed. We are therefore working on finding the quickest solution to seal the pipe, which may involve fabricating a suitable fitting."

Read more from Surrey Mirror

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters