The Surrey Mirror's very first offices at 65 Brighton Road, Redhill, in use as a shoe and bootmaker's in the first part of the 20th century. Picture courtesy of Alan Moore collection
WE ARE on the move. After 16 years of the Surrey Mirror headquarters being based at London Road, Reigate – close to Reigate Station, we are relocating to Redhill.
It was in Redhill in 1879 that the Surrey Mirror was first published on July 26 of that year.
After originally being based at 65 Brighton Road, Redhill, the main office and printing works was built at Ladbroke Road – next to the Locomotive public house about 1900.
The newspaper operated from these premises until a disastrous fire in late January 1964 when emergency printing works had to be set up at Merstham, while some reporters set up an office in the old Market Hall, Redhill.
A brand new office was built in Ladbroke Road – close to today's bus station – and this opened in 1972.
It was clearly visible from the station opposite and people will remember the large orange letters on the side of the high-rise building that spelled out The Surrey Mirror.
This could be seen by thousands of passengers on passing trains.
In the icy January of 1987, the administrative headquarters of Surrey and Sussex Newspapers (formerly East Surrey Newspapers) moved to Sutton, and the reporters and local advertising representatives were found a new home in Hartland House, Church Street, Reigate.
Here, the local teams were based, until Trinity bought the title in 1994. New headquarters for the newspaper were found at London Road, Reigate, next to the level crossing.
Former reporter and now BBC newsreader Nicholas Owen, declared the offices open in the autumn of that year.
It became part of Trinity Mirror when the former company merged with Mirror Group, the owners of the Daily Mirror in 1999.
Three years ago, in the summer of 2007, Trinity Mirror sold the Surrey Mirror and its sister newspapers to Northcliffe – owners of the Daily Mail.
The Northcliffe management moved a portion of the administrative staff to its regional headquarters at Chelmsford, Essex, and found that the remaining local teams had too much office space at Reigate, so a search was made for a slimmed-down new office in the area.
This has now been found on the ground floor of Regent House, Queensway, Redhill RH1 1QT.
The main switchboard number will be 01737 783800 and direct-dial numbers to reporters and advertising representatives will be announced in September.
So, after an incredible 131 years serving our local communities in East Surrey, we are on the move again – to the very town where we first started all those years ago.
We look forward to a new era serving our valued readers and advertisers and urge you all to stay in touch as we enter our new phase in the newspaper's long history serving the community.