Login Register

Police arrest South Park's cup development

By IanLamont  |  Posted: October 20, 2012

Comments (0)

South Park's glorious FA Cup campaign ended 3-0 in the Fourth Qualifying Round at home to Met Police on Saturday, with Crawley Town's on loan young striker Jonte Smith scoring twice.

Park had four Smiths in their 18-man squad and one of them, Chris, hit the post after just three minutes with a right-foot shot after being supplied by Kieran Lavery, who was player of the round in the third qualifying round against Brentwood Town.

Had the shot been with his favoured left, the whole match could have been a different story.

Chris Smith could not control a Jack Stafford cross quick enough to engineer a scoring chance on 18 ten minutes and the visitors gradually asserted themselves in front of Park's biggest ever crowd  of 643, three times the one for the previous round.

On 18 minutes Howard Newton managed to scrambled in a header after James Wastell initially palmed away a header.

But Park were far from out of it as Stafford had a prominent first half – as part of a battling midfield – Lavery missing the post by half a yard.

Wastell made a great save at the end of the first half, but there was nothing he could do when Jonte Smith was put through from a long clearance by keeper Jamie Butler to score from 10 yards on 47 minutes.

Jonte Smith scored the third on 84 minutes from Chris Bourne's cross, having forced Wastell into a low save from another first-time effort from a cross.

Elsewhere, Whyteleafe won 4-2 at Lordswood in the Kent League, substitute Jay Garrick's spectacular strike finishing the scoring. Bentley Graham's free-kick had made it 3-2 after Getro Kilapi had levelled. Leafe had to come from 2-0 down, Ryan Maxwell's penalty putting them back in the game, the third goal in two minutes.

Fabio Saraiva's penalty after the Maidstone goalkeeper was sent off after 89 minutes was Merstham's only consolation in a 3-1 defeat at Moatside. Also in the Ryman League Division One South, Chipstead won 1-0 at Hythe, Joss Andrew scoring.

Another goalkeeper was sent off, Redhill's Rob Whittaker – John Difford donning the gloves – as Redhill lost 2-1 at home to  Peacehaven, Lee Radford levelling after seven minutes. Lingfield's game at Sidley was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.

In the Combined Counties League, Horley lost 2-0 at Cover and Dorking 3-1 at Wembley In the Premier Division. Division One results included a 3-0 defeat at Feltham for Banstead and a 3-1 win for Mole Valley SCR, over Spelthorne.

Read more from Surrey Mirror

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters