Login Register

Man who led police cars, dogs and helicopter on 30 minute chase is jailed

By Surrey Mirror  |  Posted: April 07, 2017

Google (main image) and Surrey Police (inset) Connor

Connor Higgs (inset) was eventually stopped on Reigate Road, Nork

Comments (1)

A man who led police cars, dogs and a helicopter on a 30-minute chase on roads and footpaths through Epsom and Nork has been jailed.

Connor Higgs, 20, was disturbed while burgling a garage in Dirdene Gardens, Epsom, with a 14-year-old accomplice on May 27 last year. The two made off on a moped, which had been stolen the previous day, after officers were called and spotted them riding it in Tolworth.

During a 33-minute chase with officers from Surrey Police and the Met Police, Higgs mounted pavements and raced through residential streets.as the helicopter hovered overhead tracking his movements.

The moped was eventually brought to a stop in Reigate Road, Nork.

READ MORE: Little Bookham shooting: Police release video of three people they want to speak to

Yesterday (Thursday) Higgs was jailed after he failed to meet the conditions of a deferred sentence, having initially escaped jail when sentenced on October 6 last year.

Judge Robert Fraser said at the time: "I have to deal with death by dangerous driving cases all the time. It is appalling the damage is causes to people.

"You are nibbling away at the system, now it's getting more serious. You have to change now."

Higgs, of Wandle Court in Epsom, was told to attend the Amber Foundation in Ockley for a 28-day rehabilitation course and to abide by its rules of no drug-taking and no offending in order to obtain a good reference.

Having failed to meet these conditions, Higgs was sentenced to 14 months imprisonment for aggravated vehicle taking and burglary when he appeared at Guildford Crown Court on Wednesday (April 5). He was also banned from driving for two-and-a-half years.

READ MORE: Commuters involved in more than 4,000 car accidents in Surrey in six years

Epsom and Ewell Inspector Jackie Elkins, said: "Connor Higgs has been a thorn in the side of the Epsom community for the last year. He has been given every chance to reform his behaviour and I am disappointed he didn't take the opportunities offered to him.

"Considering the reckless way he drove the moped that evening, it was remarkable that no-one was hurt. I hope that this reassures the good people of Epsom and Ewell that we take this misbehaviour seriously, and will work tirelessly to protect our community from people like Connor."

Read more from Surrey Mirror

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters


      Hot Jobs